Monday, January 8, 2007

Monty Python's Spamalot

I was finally able to see Monty Python's Spamalot over the weekend at the Fischer Theater in Detroit. I tried to see it a couple of years ago in Chicago during it's opening run, but was unable to get tickets for a decent price. I was then holding off until I could see it in Vegas, but it came to me instead and was here for a six week run. I purchased tickets back in October, and I couldn't wait for the date to come around so I could see the show. :) Now onto the review:

Well first off, I really enjoyed it. I've never been to a musical before, and I had a great time. The Fischer Theater is on the first floor of the Fischer Building on Grand Boulevard in Detroit. It's a very old and interesting building. The theater was intimate and we had great seats in the first row of the mezzanine. Of course there were two idiots sitting right behind us. You know the type that repeat everything that was funny out loud, why do people do that? Back to Spamalot, there were a lot of great quotes from Monty Python and The Holy Grail and all the great scenes are acted out live with musical numbers. Including the Swallow Coconut opening scene, The Black Night, Bring out your Dead, The French Taunter, The Knights Who Say Nii, etc... They really did a good job of re-creating The Black Night scene, it is one of my favorites from the movie, and I really enjoyed watching the live action version. A couple of the songs were absolutely hilarious and politically incorrect (a perfect combination in my opinion). The performances by the actors were very good, along with the sets. I was really looking forward to this being my first musical. I figured it was a good one to check out, since I am a Monty Python fan, especially of Monty Python and The Holy Grail. If you are a Monty Python fan you definately have to check it out. Even if you aren't you can have a very good time.

2 comments:

Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

As I had never seen the movie, I was unsure what to expect. I agree that it was extremely entertaining and was pleasantly surprised at how humorous I found it. It was shockingly dirty at times, and I was surprised at the controversial direction they took too. The actors were great and really seemed to enjoy the show too. The scenes flowed well, as intermission was 55 minutes into the show and it seemed to come quickly.

I am happy I went with zero expectations, was not in a position to critique the scenes, and was just able to enjoy the show.

GTuck said...

I am very happy you enjoyed the show. :)